The 2014 Songwriting Competition is now open! Music: Count Us In offers a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for talented young people to have their song sung by over half a million students. On October 31st 2013, schools right around Australia joined together to sing Keep On, the 2013 program song.
Read more about the 2014 Songwriting Competition, then download the Song Brief to circulate among your students before the summer holidays. Entries are due on February 28th 2014.
This year, four students from around Australia were selected to work with mentor, Katie Noonan, and Program Ambassador, John Foreman. They spent an intense day working together at AMEB Queensland, combing the ideas, melodies and lyrics of their submissions to create a wonderful upbeat tune about working hard to achieve your dreams. Those students were:
- Aidan Rolfe, Year 12, Kardinia International College, VIC
- Abbey Slattery, Year 9, Penleigh and Essenden Grammar School, VIC
- Holly Winter, Year 10, Emmaus Christian College, SA
- Ritchell Lim, Year 12, Canning Vale College, WA
Congratulations also to the following students. Judges awarded them high commendations for their excellent submissions in the songwriting search:
- Trinitie Fazaah, Year 7, Stormfront Music Tutoring, WA
- Reyne Durrant, Year 10, Albany Senior High School, WA
- Brianna Hawkins-Cain, Year 10, Toormina High School, NSW
- Isabel Estephan, Year 11, St Patrick's College Campbelltown, NSW
- Oliver Ditcham, Year 9, St Aloysius Catholic College, TAS
- Merinda Dias-Jayasinha and Claudia Cameron, Year 11, Brisbane Girls Grammar School, QLD
- Nathan Wendt, Year 11, John Paul College, NSW
- Nicole Gardin, Year 11, Millicent High School, SA
- Maral Ghamkhar, Year 9, Box Hill High School, VICKeep On was recorded at Allan Eaton Studios in Melbourne and Trackdown Studios in Sydney! Students from Princes Hill Secondary College contributed backing vocals, keys, bass, guitar and drums, and the amazingly talented Darren Percival performed lead vocals.
The students were mentored by Program Ambassador John Foreman, along with Gerry Pantazis (drums), Craig Newman (bass) and Simon Patterson (guitar). Students performing on the recording are:
- Pelaya Arapakis (drums)
- Ronan Nicholson (bass)
- Connor Harry-Blackall (guitar and vocals)
- Elliott Jenkins (keys)
- Gabriel Askew, Susannah Laurence, Dominique Salvatore, Moritz Commichau, Thea Lang (vocals)
To stay in touch and be notified when next year's competition is open for entries, sign up to the Music: Play for Life enewsletter.